Sunday, December 5, 2010

What Week Are We On Now?

I don't have a lot to show for class last week.  When we had time to work on our manikins I couldn't do a whole lot of work in class because my Alaster's arm was at home, so I grabbed a hunk of clay and headed thither.  At home I ended up working on my shell instead and now it is all drawn and inked.  I think that the drawing itself was the best of the three so far, at the biggest.  I had a photo of the pre-inked shell but that, sadly, is nowhere to be found.  Well anyway, there it is, the third shell drawing all inked up.  I haven't decided whether the ink wash adds or takes away from the drawing.  I like the colors but I didn't apply them all that well.  I don't really understand how to work with the medium for starters, application methods, blending and other such things so I just kinda plopped it on and hoped for the best. I think the best inked part on this shell (aside from the color) is the ridge on the top where the planes change and there is a white line separating them. I think it really helps show depth and dimension.  The application on the back of the shell seems to have made it flatten out a little.  The highlights on the front seem pretty off to me too.  As for the actual drawing part of the shell, I think did pretty well.  I have a better diagonal that I have had in the past and the atmospheric perspective was more convincing as I was able to control the dark to light transition from front to back.  It also makes better use of the page than my previous drawings.  The thing I didn't do well in the drawing part was the area where you should be able to see inside the shell, you can't see it with the ink on it but I wasn't able to draw convincing contours to describe the shape inside the shell.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way with the shell drawing, the use of the ink for me was all experimental but I love your purple color, that is sure to be unique! The top ridge is very descriptive and the dark curve on the inside is helpful in describing the shell (plus there is no need for contour lines!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Press Watercolor paper. about $5.40 for the 90lbs.(lowest quality) will help a ton with the paper clumping problem you were having.

    ReplyDelete