Sunday, December 19, 2010

Final Post and Portfolio

So this is it, the final post of my life drawing one career. We'll start off with a link to my flickr portfolio so here that is:  Trent's Flickr Portfolio


Here he is, Alaster at his best, all finished and beautiful.  I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied with how he turned out. I think I did really well with the back and lower leg areas. The one area that I think is the weakest is the upper leg, it doesn't have as much mass as it should.  The things I fixed after Amy went over the manikins in class on Tuesday were the latissimus dorsi, the glutes, the long head on the triceps and the deltoids.  My lats weren't coming out far enough so I bulked it up a bit and I also noticed that it should go farther up into the armpit so I fixed that as well. The long head was a little to small, she did actually notice it the first time she looked at it so I added a little more clay to it to separate it from the lateral head a little better. she didn't actually say anything about my delts but I noticed that one of the heads had a bit of a weird shape so I rounded it out a little better.  Lastly I had to completely redo my glutes because they disappeared at some point. It didn't take very long to redo them and i think they may have turned out better the second time around anyway.


 Ah, the final shell drawing.  I think that this is my best of the four, both drawn and inked. The funny thing is that I didn't look at my shell much, maybe not even at all, until I started applying ink. Instead of looking at the shell while drawing it I looked at a sketch of the shell that I had drawn a bit earlier. I think this helped simplify the shell in my head and it also helped that the angle of the shell wasn't constantly changing. For this last shell I bought a piece of actual watercolor paper which helped the inking process flow far more smoothly.  For the ink, i decided to use two colors instead of just one which I think was a good choice.  I decided to do this after looking at shells on peoples blogs and I decided that the more successful ones used two colors so I decided to do likewise.

Well, that's it for Life Drawing 1. It's been fun and I would really like to continue studying it on my own time next summer but I always keep myself so busy, I don't know if I will be able be serious about it. We will see. Well, I will anyway. I doubt I'll keep up the blogging after this. So long and goodbye!

3 comments:

  1. Your photo doesn't do your shell justice. I love the colors you used! They were so vibrant and effective. The gradations and the textures you had were really great and really added to the shape of the shell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on both the manikin and the shell. Having seen the shell drawing in person I know that vibrancy of the colors which I think really adds to the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trent, your manikin turned out really really good! You did a great job showing detail and the color of course makes it all that much better!!

    ReplyDelete